The terms and conditions for 2023 coverage are the same as in previous years. We would ask all parties to review these terms and conditions to avoid any misunderstandings. The applicant is still responsible for fifteen percent (15%) of the costs.
Terms and Conditions
To be eligible for HBPA assistance all applicants must be duly licensed by Horse Racing Alberta for the year 2023 as a: Groom, Pony Person, Exercise Person, Assistant Trainer or Trainer and shall make a declaration that his/her major source of income is derived from employment in the backstretch and he/she is not covered by any other form of program, coverage, assistance or insurance.
For 2023, Trainers will be eligible for dental/eye/hearing benefits. Applications from Groom, Pony Person, Exercise Person or Assistant Trainer will take precedence over Trainer applications, and will be available until the 2023 fund is depleted.
The applicant is responsible for fifteen percent (15%) of the cost of treatment. The HBPA will contribute eighty-five percent (85%) of the costs of the treatments to the following maximums:
1. DENTAL $750.00 (non-cosmetic procedures)
2. EYE $200.00
3. HEARING $300.00
• All applications must be received by the last day of the race meet and the treatment completed by Dec 31, 2023.
• All persons must have been employed as a licensee ninety (90) days in the calendar year.
• Any false statements shall constitute grounds for the application to be denied or benefits received to be repaid.
• Ownership of a horse(s) eligible to race could cause rejection of application.
• The decision to approve or disapprove any application shall rest with the Backstretch Committee of the HBPA of Alberta and their decision shall be final.